- 1/2 cup (3 1/4 ounces) whole grain brown rice
- 1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch crushed chilli/red pepper flakes, optional
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 pound thin asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces, 3 cups
- 6 ounces button mushrooms, quartered, 2 cups
- 2 ounces 1/3 less fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese or vegetarian alternative
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Cono Sur Pinot Noir
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add the rice and barley and cook until al dente, 15 minutes. Drain well.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan or griddle over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, pepper flakes (if using) and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the onion is tender and beginning to brown, 5 minutes. Stir in the drained rice mixture. Add 2 cups broth, cover and cook until the rice and barley are tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
Stir in the asparagus and mushrooms and continue to cook, covered, until the vegetables are tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 1/2 cup broth, cream cheese and Parmesan until melted and creamy. Sprinkle with chives and zest.